Diet for Constipation
Elimination is vital for good health and if your system is not working properly the result is constipation. Not only do you feel generally sluggish and distended. This will also show on the outside with bad skin, lacklustre hair. And from the inside bad breath, bloating, wind and other unpleasant side effects.
This topic is about a long term condition but the tips below are good for holiday blips etc.
What is Constipation?
It is the inability to pass fecal matter usually accompanied by hardened faeces. Opinions vary but doctors think that if you do not pass stools more than 3 times a week you are constipated. Any longer than this you should seek medical advice.
Diet is crucial to alleviate constipation and to avoid getting it back in future.
Your Action Plan if you are Constipated
- Start the day with hot water and lemon
- Drink lots of fluids during the day, especially water, fruit,vegetable juices and herbal teas
- Eat lots of fruit, especially oranges which contain a natural laxative
- Fill up your plate with vegetables, raw if possible otherwise lightly steamed
- If you must eat bread ensure it is wholegrain (but avoid bread during this time if you can)
- For protein eat lentils, pulses and beans
- Sprinkle ground linseeds on your wholegrain cereal and instead of milk use fruit juice (milk is mucous forming)
What to Avoid during Action time
- Bread especially WHITE BREAD
- Meat, especially RED MEAT
- Dairy products
- Sugar and sweets
- Refined and processed foods
- Caffeinated drinks (causes fluid loss)
- Alcohol (causes fluid loss)
- Bran (this scores and scratches the bowel wall)
What else can you do?
- Try not to tense up - take a magazine in the toilet, have the radio on, lock the door because this is one function that should be done solo
- When sitting on the toilet place a small stool under your feet. This puts you into a squatting position making bowel movements easier
- Avoid piles by not putting pressure down under by putting your hands/arms above your shoulder line (odd you may think by try it and you will find it works and let's face it who is going to see you)
- Take moderate exercise, increasing intensity as you get fitter
- Give your liver a massage by stroking across it towards the centre 17 times (this will cause the liver to produce bile which then stimulates the bowel).
- Do a simple massage before you get out of bed read Help Your Colon to Work Better with download instructions and diagram.
Read our topic Maintaining Good Bowel Health for diet advice and tips to keep this area working smoothly.
Check out our two Food Pyramids the Food Pyramid for a diet for life and the Anti-Inflammatory Food Pyramid (some acidic foods have been removed).
A simple and pleasurable activity to incorporate into your day is Dry Skin Brushing
- this improve the texture of your skin making it look health. But, the bonus is that this technique improves lymphatic and blood flow and has a profound impact on the bowels.
The supplements below have been selected for bowel and liver health.